So, seems like I had another lapse in my postings, but I'm back again! Brace yourselves, this one is going to be a little heavy on pictures. But maybe that means I won't be as wordy, since each of these is worth a thousand words....


We headed up to a place called Skuleberget. It's a pretty steep mountain as you can see here. One of the options was to take a guided tour with full climbing gear to get up to cool places such as this cave, but since we're cheap, we went with the free option. The one involving walking on planks. :)

You might think that was a little lazy of us, but it was no walk in the park (even though it literally was a walk in a park...)

The planks helped a lot, but unfortunately they didn't go all the way up to our destination close to the top of the mountain.
Micah was nice enough to pose for me even though I used a very unprofessional camera. I think it came out pretty good, if I may say so myself.


Kathryn found a comfortable spot to lay down (she might have lain down under duress, but we won't talk about that...) in a field of rocks. You will find fields like these all around the area, and some of them go on for quite a while. Supposedly they were once at the sea-floor, but now they're located way up the mountainside.

A popular opinion in our group is that it might have had something to do with the flood, but we're just speculating.

We also got to see some fancy roots. It's pretty amazing how they spread out, and I'm thinking that these trees won't go down easy. Maybe we could teach the trees in Georgia how to do this...


Today we will do a botanical quiz. What 3 kinds of berries grow on the plants depicted here? 3 points for each identified type, and 1 point for the second correct answer. In the one picture you will have to specify which plant goes with which berry though... No easy points today! I will let you know that the one on the right is the one that has 2 in it though.
The path went through a lot of different types of views. We walked through woods, over rocky parts, climbing up mountainsides and through swamps.

The weather was perfect for hiking, not too warm and a nice breeze.

The further up we got, the more it got rocky and steep.


Finally we reached our destination. This crevice was 3 kilometers from where we parked, but it was definitely worth the hike. It was very awe-inspiring. after climbing around at the bottom of the ravine and taking some pictures, we headed up to the top of the mountain.
on the one side of the ravine it was very easy to get up, and we were treated to a beautiful view of the water below. Even though Micah is covering some of it, I'm sure you can appreciate the beauty.
To get up on the other side of the ravine was a little more precarious. There was only some narrow ledges to walk up, but we all made it, even my mom. :)

My sister and her husband chose this spot for a pda, and I though it was worth documenting.

The way down was a lot quicker, and we took a slightly different path that gave us some different views.
If the pictures don't look as good from this point forward, my camera had an experience bouncing off a rock into a puddle.
It looks in bad shape, but I think it still works.


After all that walking, of course we needed to eat. This here is a tiny little fish-restaurant in the middle of nowhere. The food was very good, and everyone was happy. :D
The next morning Bitja and I decided to make some segkakor, my Grandmother's signature bread.


I'll just show you the progress in these next few pictures. It wasn't terribly complicated, and it comes out delicious!

We finished the day with a bbq at the house where Kristine, Micah, Mark and Karin are staying and after that some of us got in their sauna. It was very refreshing!
I almost forgot. I've added up the scores, and it seems like everyone has been pretty good at figuring out the correct answers. Unfortunately no one was able to figure out that all three women were named Karin. It's very obvious when you look at them, I'm a little disappointed in all of you.
Also, the correct answer on the stove is Kakelugn, which Tom was the first one to get correct.
After adding all of it together, this is what i have for totals (if I did any mistakes, please let me know)
Tom in the lead with 20 points.
LaMontica second with 13 points
Bronte third with 7 points
Brit fourth with 1 point
Good work everyone!
I think the photo on the left is a wild strawberry, or smultron.
ReplyDeleteI think one of the plants in the photo on the right is a lingonberry.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think the other is a blueberry plant.
ReplyDeleteIs Kent following this page? He should know all the plants and berries. 😁 Great pictures. I feel like I'm there with you guys.
ReplyDelete